CPI2-Gx – Gang Device Programmers
The multi-channel CPI2-Gx device programmer as well as the single-channel CPI2-B1 device programmer belongs to the ChipProg-ISP2 series of Phyton production in-system device programmers. ChipProg-ISP2 device programmers are intended for use in Automated Test Equipment (ATE) – programming fixtures and automated testers (ICT).
A CPI2-Gx programmer is implemented as a compact motherboard carrying pluggable CPI2-GM1 programming modules. The programmer is enclosed in a plastic housing with a small fan. Each module has a built-in demultiplexer that can be optionally enabled by activating a CPI2-DEMUX license (sold separately) which doubles the number of main programming channels.
Following configurations with two to seven programming modules are available for ordering:
Main programming channels
Demultiplexed programming channels
The software package, bundled with a standard CPI2-Gx kit, includes the Basic Device Library, and the CPI2-ACI license. This combination enables several types of control, including standalone operations, graphical user interface (GUI), command line, as well as the possibility to control the programmer from external applications, and an Application Control Interface (ACI) with SDK. This license is always active on all and each CPI2-Gx gang device programmers. It is factory preinstalled at no extra cost.
Basic Device Library license included in the CPI2-Gx kit supports programming of a variety of serial memory devices and some 8- and 16-bit microcontrollers. Support of more complex microcontrollers and PLDs requires purchasing one or more CPI2-D-XXXX target-specific device library licenses.
Both the CPI2-DEMUX and CPI2-D-XXXX licenses tie to a unique serial number of the CPI2-Gx motherboard. This enables licensed features for all and each CPI2-GM1 modules that is plugged into this motherboard. The licenses can be purchased bundled with a device programmer or separately at a later time. For previously purchased programmers, Phyton delivers license codes via email. Licensees then activate the license in the GUI.
CPI2-Gx device programmers can be optionally equipped with two relay units that can dock to the CPI2-Gx programmer:
- CPI2-GDMR relay demultiplexer that doubles a number of channels for sequential device programming;
- CPI2-GTRB relay barrier that disconnects a device programmer from the target while it is under testing by an ICT.
Suggested retail prices are published in the catalog where customers can place an online order, or request a quote or proforma invoice for wire transfer. Volume discounts are automatically applied and displayed in the process of ordering.
Major Features Available in the Standard CPI2-Gx Kit
- Extremely fast.
- Computer controlled or standalone operations.
- User-configurable options with 2 to 7 CPI2-GM1 programming modules.
- Flexible re-targeting programming modules – each single module in one CPI2-Gx can run its own project concurrently programming different device type on same target.
- Each module stores up to 4 projects (images) quickly switched by ATE signals.
- Modules in the programmer can be started synchronously or asynchronously.
- Multiple CPI2-Gx units can be daisy chained to form a very large-scale gang programming cluster with up to 72x CPI2-GM1 modules controlled by single computer.
- All ATE control lines are opto-isolated.
- Compact design enables embedding into programming fixtures.
- Programs devices with Vcc from 1.2V to 5.5V.
- Supports JTAG, SWD, SPI, SCI, I²C, UART, and other interfaces.
- Supports ISP for devices with Vcc voltages in the range of 1.2V to 5.5V;
- Program certain devices over a long distance – up to 5m (~15ft).
- USB 2.0 High Speed and LAN communication interfaces.
- Intuitive, user-friendly graphical user interface (GUI).
- Simplified graphical user interface for use by unskilled personnel.
- Application Control Interface (ACI) and SDK.
- Enables control from programs in C, C++, C#, Visual Basic.
- Enables control from National Instrument® LabVIEW™.
- On-the-fly utility allows controlling already launched programmer.
- Create custom programming scripts with included scripting language.
- Reliable data and project settings protection.
- Tamperproof software and firmware.
- Compact design enables embedding CPI2-Gx gang programmers into test fixtures.
Optional Accessories and License Features Offering Enhance Capabilities
- CPI2-DEMUX license enables built-in demultiplexers on all programming modules in the CPI2-Gx unit and allows sequential programming through doubled number of channels.
- CPI2-GDMR external relay demultiplexer additionally doubles a number of programming channels for sequential programming.
- Combination of activated CPI2-DEMUX license with two }CPI2-GDMR external relay demultiplexers allows quadrupling number of channels up to 28 (4 sequentially working groups by 7 programming channels each).
- CPI2-GTRB – external relay barrier allows to galvanically disconnect all programmer signals from the target panel while it is under testing by ICT to prevent programming and testing signals interference. The GND lines can remain connected or can also be cut off.
Implementation and Mechanical Options
- Compact mother board allows installation of up to 7 programming modules.
- Equipped with an embedded fan for 24/7 work in production environment.
- Compact and easily mountable inside of ATE.
- High Speed USB 2.0 (480Mbps).
- 100 Mbit/s Ethernet – both dynamic and static IP addresses are supported.
- Comprehensive, user-friendly graphical user interface (GUI).
- User-configurable simplified interface (SUI) for use by unskilled personnel.
- Command line.
- Integration with National Instruments® LabVIEW™ Software.
- Application Control Interface (ACI) and Software Development Kit (SDK).
- On-the-fly control utility allows changing commands in already launched and running programmer without stopping it.
- Script language for making custom user-defined scripts.
- From ATE – start/stop and status signals – individual for each single channel.
- Can be launched manually or automatically by closing the fixture lid.
Project and Configuration Management
- Unlimited number of projects can be created, stored and quickly invoked for launching.
- Each programming module stores up to 4 standalone projects for fast project switching.
- These 4 standalone projects can be identical or different for each module.
- Interface configurations, colors, fonts, sounds, hot keys, and other settings can be stored and quickly retrieved.
Power Source Options
- External power adapter 9-18V@3A – not included in the CPI2-Gx kit.
Power for Targets
- Provides Vcc (1.2 to 5.5V @ up to 350mA) and Vpp (1.2 to 15V @ up to 80mA) to target panels.
- Target panels can be powered from external power supplies.
- Supports loading and saving files in all popular formats.
- Unlimited number of data buffers can be open simultaneously.
- Arithmetic operations on data blocks in buffers.
- Programmable serialization of target devices.
- Multiple serialization algorithms, including script-controlled ones.
- Allows writing of user-defined signatures and data blocks into target devices.
- Several different algorithms available for checksum calculation.
- Special DLL for user-defined checksum calculation.
- Stores logs of programming sessions with time-stamping.
- Easy to use GUI editor for device-specific settings and algorithm parameters, such as fuses, lock bits, protected sectors, boot loader vectors, clock frequency, etc.
- Displays a target device connection diagram right from the GUI.
- Comprehensive self-test and diagnostic procedures.
Target Interface Signals
- CPI2-Gx unit has two Eurocard type R DIN 150-pin The ‘B’ channel works only if optional CPI2-DEMUX license is activated.
- Both ‘A’ and ‘B’ channels are identical with respect to electrical and timing characteristics.
- Ten target-specific logical inputs/outputs per channel settable in the range of 1.2V to 5.5V, individually programmable as I/O, GND or Vcc.
- For stable programming the above ten signal lines are interspersed with GND wires.
- Two inputs/outputs individually programmable as TTL logic I/O, GND, or Vcc or Vpp.
Signals for Interfacing to External Equipment
- 48-pin DIN start/stop input signals – separate for each channel;
- output status signals: BUSY, GOOD and ERROR – separate for each channel;
- two inputs for selecting a standalone project (job) – separate for each channel;
- one common input that control switches programming channels between ‘A’ (main) and ‘B’ (additional, demultiplexed).
- Main CPI2-Gx unit: 155 x 128 x 50 mm (~6” x 5” x 2”).
- CPI2-GDMR and CPI2-GTRB relay blocks: 156 x 63 x 45 mm (~6” x 2.5” x 1.75”).
- Microsoft® Windows™ XP, 7, 8 and 10.